Monday, June 21, 2010

Swapping with Julia, the Bargain Hunting Babe

When I was a cheap college student I used to read the Bargain Hunter section of the Daily News. Now, I read from Julia's Bargain Babe blog, and I finally got to meet her in person at the 2010 Frugal Fe$tival Summer Swap.

I've often wondered what the volunteers at Goodwill stores go through, weeding and sorting all their donations. Now I understand. The key: lots of hand sanitizer.

Still, there were lots of little gems, such as:
-almost-new dresses from Forever 21
-totally cute jewelry
-cropped jackets for evening wear
-collared business shirts

My choice:
a J. Crew white cotton tunic cover up (vaguely similar to the Djellabah style from several years ago)

I have my reservations because it's pretty thin/sheer, so if it doesn't work out for me I'll swap it back next year. And a copy of Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister, which I also plan to swap next year when I finish.

Our volunteer gift was some Starbucks Via mugs and Restaurant.com gift cards (which I'm using at my neighborhood Thai place). After, we all went round the corner to a great outdoor lounge and shared Mediterranean appetizers - courtesy of Julia.

No comments: